Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA presented by Alaska : It's All About Determination and Perseverance


As I entered the school gate, I felt goosebumps! I see a long line of boys and girls with their parents, relatives, coaches and friends. I felt like I was one of them. I am just so happy and excited to see how it goes during the Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA Regional Selection Camp in Manila for 2016.


Every participant waited patiently in line to register and get their Flow Chart.


Each participant needs to complete the stations.

LAY-UP STATION

PASSING STATION


FOOTWORK STATION


DRIBBLING STATION


HOTSHOT STATION


I walked around looking at their faces.... 

Parents...

 



Participants patiently waiting for their turn. 






and coaches.





Alaska milk and choco is free for everyone!



Free bag tags for everyone.


PBA Play by Play Commentator Chiqui Reyes was there & had a chance to interview some of the alumni.




Entertainment before the announcement of the top scorers.


Before Day 1 ends, Coach Craig announced the names of the top scorers who will come the next day to participate in day 2 of the selection.


Among the 1,114 (1,030 boys & 84 girls) participants, only 25 girls & 40 boys are selected.



Before the day ended, Coach Cariaso gave the participants an encouraging speech. Two words to remember, DETERMINATION and PERSEVERANCE. 







On day 2, only 16 boys and 8 girls were chosen for the NTC.

Boys: (16)
Mark Glenn Gabon 
Luis Gabriel Aguila 
Anjelo Raphael Argente 
Jhondhel Austria 
Jearico Nunez 
Kai Zachary Sotto 
Andrei Philip Lechoncito 
Mark Nicole Lucban 
Reich Randell Villegas 
Prince Junnell De Belen 
Pauloh Villarin 
Patrick Lance Inting 
Jericho Ross Paglinawan 
Miguel Rey Luis Tan 
Devon Dein Diez 
Russel Ducanes

Girls: (8)
Dianne Camille Nolasco
Lalaine Gonzales 
Carly Monreal 
Lindsey Nacional 
Magda Lioui Flores 
Ma Cecilia Quilenderino 
Princess Marie Villarin 
Jonalyn Bongalos







*******

I have been inspired with all that has happened during the 2 days of Regonal Section Camp in Manila.

The girls played very well! It is just amazing how girls play! I didn't know it until I've seen them work hard to learn & really did their best.



The boys played like professional players. From different places, it didn't stop them working so hard to win the game. All-for-one, one-for-all!



Boys and girls listened attentively to what their coaches are telling them. They all have just met during the selections, but they all look as if they've worked and known each other for a long time.





I walked around and observed. I just trusted my instincts, I guess. I took pictures and talked to some of the players.

These are the kids that I have chosen as my bets and all of them got in!

This is Dianne Camille Nolasco. She is from Merriam College. I didn't have a chance to talk to her, however as I have observed she is one of my bets among the girls.



This boy wearing blue shirt at the far left is #1770, Although I may have not taken his name, for me he is one of the best. Not only the good looks of a "moreno" boy next door image, but the seriousness that he showed for his love for basketball that got my attention.



Russel Ducanes, wearing the #42 Jersey, is from Laguna.  These boys were just sitting quietly and caught my attention thinking that they know each other. I thought that they were friends who made it through the batch to compete for the next day's selection in Manila. Well, I am wrong! They have just met. The boys may have just met, but I can sense their dedication as a team with mixed emotions of happiness and nervousness. As a mother, I felt that they need encouragement, so I assured them that they're doing great, just relax and enjoy the tournament. Of course, a good luck from a mom to her boys is the best encouragement I could give them.


This is Patrick Lance Inting. 14 years old, from Cavite City representing his school, Our Lady of the Pillar. This is the second time to try out. He joined last year, and also made it to the top 40.
"Gusto ko pa po ulit sumubok kung makakaya ko makapunta sa China,"Lance said. He loves basketball since he was a little boy. He just came with his cousin who is sitting beside him. I really admire this kid! 


Here we have the tallest kid I've ever seen among the participants. He is Kai Zachary Sotto, 6'9", with a foot size of 15, from St. Francis of Assisi College in Las Pinas. He is the son of former PBA player, Ervin Sotto, but you can see the humbleness of Kai that shows that is raised well. Just like any other boys, he is trying again to make it this time. This is the 3rd time that he's joining the Camp, but no matter what, nothing can stop his dream.




At the end of the day,

what coach Cariaso said made me realize that it is not just for the kids, but also for the coaches, parents and relatives. This is what sportsmanship is all about...

DETERMINATION and PERSEVERANCE.

Never give up!

Good luck to all and stay humble!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6th Jollibee Family Values Awards: Gabi ng Parangal Para sa Pamilyang Pilipino 2016

Pag-IBIG Loyalty Card Discounts and Rewards

Asia Digital Marketing Conference 2016